Friday, March 22, 2019

Growing Your Social Capital

1. I decided to randomly just introduce myself to the manager of a Starbucks near my house. They have had managing experience at Starbucks' franchises for 6 years. He is the domain expert of the product (coffee). I told him about my business idea and he provided me his thoughts and his contact info if I need any business like tips and said he'd try to help in any way he could and was allowed. I'm not exactly sure how this person will help with my opportunity, but maybe he can give me needed tips to help me along the way. 

2. My sister is in the works of a business that will produce self diagnostic kits for tropical diseases. She is selling these kits to health organizations who are most likely in the same customer segment, those who are working or have very busy tasks daily. She is an expert on my market. Though she is selling a completely different product that serves a more important purpose, she is still very knowledgeable about this segment and knows how to sell to them (regardless of what it is). She advised me on what this group looks for and what will hook them to the product being sold. She said she would further help me with trying to sell the business to the segment the more it comes about. She will help me bring in customers. 

3. My roommate has a sibling who is an engineer. This person creates and sells things like mugs and drink containers. He is an important supplier to my industry. This engineer explained the manufacturing process to me after I  called and told him my vision for the types of coffee containers I'd like to sell. He said if this business idea carries through, he'd be happy to work with me and try to create the unique cups I want in the most efficient way possible. This person will bring my coffee container vision to life.

This networking experience was made a bit easy for me in terms of finding 2 of the people but was still challenging in the sense of looking to meet new people. That experience will help me find the courage to continue to take a chance seek people who I think might be a source of help to my company. Never before have I went to seek help from a complete stranger for an opportunity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Reflection

Putting a lot of work into some of my posts like the first venture concept and forgetting to post the links sticks out to me. I'll remem...